In a world that revolves around consumption, it can be tempting to go out and spend money on new items instead of using what you have at home. However, for those of us looking to care for the planet, reusing and repurposing is the way forward.
This TikTok video offers a list of easy, zero-waste ideas that will hopefully inspire you to get creative and make some changes!
@eco_tok @newlifestyle setting goals to spend less $ in 2020. #zerowasteswaps #zerowaste #learnontiktok #ecofriendly #zerowasteliving #fyp #moneysaving #foryou ♬ Night Night – Trees and Lucy
1. Instead of buying a soap stand, make a free, homemade version with an old jar lid and some rubber bands.
2. Instead of throwing away plastic shaker containers, save the lid. They fit perfectly on top of mason jars and are great for storing dry shampoo or spices.
3. Instead of buying new travel-sized items every time you travel, odds are you have some container lying around that can be used to store your toiletries.
While plastic can make life more convenient at times, the reality is that most plastics are not recycled and get sent to landfills, where they may take as many as 1,000 years to decompose. With a little creativity and repurposing, you can give new life to old items lying around your home.
Every year 100 billion new clothing items are produced, 60% of all clothing is made from plastic which either goes right to the landfill or is burned in incinerators, and over 2.2 million tons of microfiber pollution from synthetic clothing enters our oceans! So it’s important to be conscious of your fashion footprint when you think about cutting out plastic from your life. There are amazing sustainable and circular brands out there, like Tiny Rescue, that are designing recycled and plastic-free clothes. Check out their Climate Change Collection!
Hopefully, these tips inspire you to transform your life into a sustainable one!
For more zero-waste hacks, keep up with EcoTok!
- Healthy Vegan Food Swaps That Are Just As Tasty
- This Canadian Vending Machine is Making Healthy Vegan Food Convenient
- Will.I.Am Fights For Healthy Vegan Food In Latest Instagram Video
- 10 Ingredients to Make Healthy Vegan Food Taste Decadent
- 5 Easy Ways To Make Healthy Vegan Food Taste Amazing
- Why the $1 Trillion Organic, Healthy Foods Industry Will be Dominated by Vegan Food
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!