Fox 35 Orlando reported that rescue authorities saved two people and two dogs after a pickup truck dropped off a bridge in southern Idaho. Authorities used camp trailer safety chains and careful work to rescue the group.
Idaho State Police (ISP) found a man and woman inside a truck that was dangling nose down off the side of a bridge balanced over a 100-foot drop into a 250-foot deep gorge. The truck was kept hanging by “safety chains” attached to a camper trailer that stayed on the bridge.
ISP spokeswoman Lynn Hightower said crews were able to rappel down and safely harness each passenger. Two small dogs were rescued alongside the humans. “It was terrifying,” Hightower said. “It was definitely a heroic rescue from everybody that was out there, and thankfully, they’re all fine.”
Witnesses to the scene shared the truck appeared to lose control shortly before crashing into the right side barrier before sliding over the guardrail and tipping over the bridge.
“A rescue like this takes a lot of quick thinking and action but this is what they train for,” Hightower said. “That training just paid off today, and two people are alive because of the hours and hours of training that these emergency responders do.”
Read more rescue stories in One Green Planet, including this dog that was reduced from an irrigation pipe.
- Firefighters Rescue Dog Trapped Under a Bus
- Puppy Rescued from Freezing Waters of Jamaica Bay in New York City
- Coast Guard Rescues Distressed Woman and Her Dogs From Sailboat During Bad Weather
- Bridge Inspector Rescues Dog Hanging 120 Feet Above River
- Brave Board Rider Saves Dog from Drowning after a Kayak Overturned in Rough Waters
- Dog Trapped at the Bottom of a Sinkhole Gets Rescued
- Lost Dog Rescued by Family in the Middle of Lake Michigan!
- Dog Saved in Heroic Rescue from a Frozen River in Michigan
- Husky Rescued from Storm Drain in California!
- Stranded Pup Surrounded by Crocodiles Rescued on Florida Island
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!