Sometimes it can feel like there’s a lot of pressure to be the perfect dog parent. You love your little fur baby so much, you just want to make sure that they have the best of everything. You research their food to make sure it’s nutritious and not just a bunch of fillers, and are such to get them treats that are simultaneously yummy and good for their digestion and teeth. Better yet, you might even make your own treats to ensure there are no nasty GMOs or unsustainable gunk in there.
Then, there’s the dog park. Will Fritzy get along with the other terriers? Will her collar be too blingy and alienate that poodle over by the tree with the plain purple collar? Some of you may laugh, but we know someone who obsessed so hard core about whether or not their dog’s tag was appropriate, that they bought a few back ups just in case. Well…we don’t know them know them, it’s more that we know of them. They’re kind of a friend of a friend. Okay, we went there.
The fact is, we care about our dogs. We want them to be happy and we want to do what’s best for them in a way that is both affordable and efficient. In an effort to help out in this endeavor, we’ve compiled a list of 14 life hacks that can help any dog parent out! Be it tricks for giving your dog more nutritious and affordable snacks, to ensuring their water dish stays filled longer – your dog will love you for these simple tricks! Okay, let’s face it, they love you anyway, but these simple things can help you let them know that the feeling is totally mutual.
1. Build a cool water station using things around the house.
2. Help to keep breath fresher by adding a couple spoonfuls of organic extra virgin coconut oil to food.
3. Turn an old pair of cargo shorts into a hiking vest that can hold ice packs to keep your cutie cool on the trail.
4. Place a quartered lemon in a jar and cover with boiling water, letting it sit overnight. Pour the cooled liquid into a spray bottle and voila! Natural flea and tick spray!
5. A window squeegee does double duty as a dog hair remover for your carpet.
6. Not sure how to recycle that old tube TV? It could be primetime for nap time!
7. Fill your dog’s Kong toy with peanut butter or plain, canned pumpkin mixed with water instead of over-the-counter treats and freeze. It’ll amuse them longer and provide a healthier snack.
8. Many dogs fear thunderstorms due to the static charge that builds up on their coats.
9. Making a morning smoothie? Make a little extra and freeze it in cubes for a healthy treat! Just be sure to use ingredients that are safe for Spot.
10. You’re recycling while making an awesome, machine washable toy!
11. Smear protective jelly on your pup’s paws before playing in the snow to protect them from cracking.
12. Does your dog lick ointment off after you’ve painstakingly applied it? Distract them immediately after with a brain game to give the medicine time to soak in.
13. Who said Nooch was just for tasty vegan mac and cheese? Sprinkle one half to one teaspoon per meal onto your dog’s food to alleviate dry skin.
14. Shower caddies don’t just have to be for shampoo, soap and that exfoliant that you thought looked cool but hated the smell of once you got it home.
Lead Image Credit: bakingserendipity.com