A ten-year old in Virginia was able to safely escape a dangerous fire thanks to two dogs. Fire Chief Dennis Hale told local TV station WTKR about the incident.

The fire department was dispatched to a house that was already full inflamed with a child inside. “Those two dogs are heroes,” said Hale of the incident. The call came in with the urgency of a child inside, Hale told the station. “The whole time you’re responding, you know the comments are, ‘there’s a child in the residence,'” said Hale.

Advertisement

Ray Dawson, a neighbor, said the boy told him how he was rescued after he got out of the burning house. “He was just as smutty as he could be, just smut up his nose, all over his face, his hands,” said Dawson. “He said his dogs came in there and started jumping on him and woke him up.

“He was asleep and his two dogs, came into his room and started jumping up and down and pawing at him at his chest and that woke him up,” added Hale, praising the boy’s good sense, “He kept his cool and obviously he knew the fire would have been between him and his normal front door, he knew to go out another way. He did exactly what he should have done.

Unfortunately, the boy’s rescuers didn’t make it out. “They all loved those dogs,” said Dawson. “They saved the boy, saved him.”

Related Content:

For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!

Advertisement

Advertisement