Amazing! The George Washington University Law School in Washington D.C. has announced a joint plan with the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) to implement animal law into their discipline.
The new Animal Legal Education Initiative (ALEI) will develop animal law as a legal discipline in the school and will be incorporated into legal education. ALEI will allow students and faculty to collaborate on developing animal law and increasing the teaching on animal law.
“Animal law is an emerging field with vast implications for other areas of law,” said Stephen Wells, Executive Director for the Animal Legal Defense Fund. “GW Law shares our vision for rapid growth and demand for animal law as a discipline, and the importance of structuring ALEI to support advances in animal protection. We are proud to partner with GW Law, whose faculty are already active in teaching and producing animal law scholarship, on the creation of this new initiative.”
According to the ALEI website, they plan to
- build a comprehensive law curriculum for the students
- explore the intersectionality and integration of animal law with other disciplines
- build collaborations among animal law faculty, across legal and other disciplines, and outside the academy
- develop innovative courses and teaching methods
- advance methods of providing clinical and experiential education and creating experiential opportunities for students
- enlarge the body of scholarship
- advance opportunities in animal law that will increase diversity in the academy and the profession
- increase students’ ability to successfully find employment in the animal law field
To help achieve these goals, the ALEI will ensure the school has the necessary resources to train the animal law attorneys of the future!
It’s impressive to see this happen, and hopefully, this new generation of animal law attorneys will lead to better animal welfare laws in the future. Sign this petition to demand more animal protection laws!
- February 2022: Animal Law Updates that Improved the World for Animals this Month
- Harvard Law School Debuts Animal Law Policy Program
- Law Professors Urge Court to Free Happy the Elephant from the Bronx Zoo
- 4 Educational Programs That Can Help You Change The World For Animals
- ‘Ag-Ga’ — When Animal Laws Protect the Abusers, not the Abused
- Buddy’s Law: Mississippi Senate Passes Law Mandating Psychological Treatment for Kids Who Commit Animal Cruelty
- Illegal ‘Rent A Puppy’ Businesses Continue to Grow Using This Loophole in Animal Welfare Law
- Germany Officially Bans Baby Chick Culling In New Animal Welfare Law
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!