Authorities responded to a report of dozens of cows galloping down a neighborhood in Pico Rivera, the Los Angeles County’s Sheriff’s Department reported. Residents were asked to avoid the area as officials tried to round up 40 cows.
The Sheriff’s Department said that the cows escaped after a gate was accidentally left open. Videos showed the stampede as people either stared open-faced at the herd. One person tried to stop the stampede and got knocked down.
A cow charged a family of four and was shot fatally by a deputy. Family members were treated for minor injuries.
An hour after their escape, the cows were herded into a cul-de-sac. 39 cows were successfully captured, while one was reported missing. The final cow was eventually captured on June 24th; however, unlike the other cows, she will be taken in by the Farm Sanctuary.
View this post on Instagram
Read more about how cows are gentle animals who are affectionate, emotional and intelligent and deserve our compassion in the articles below:
- 10 Things to Love About Cows
- Dog and Calf Playing Together Prove that Cows Aren’t So Different From Dogs
- Rescued Baby Cows Are So Happy to be Safe, They Can’t Stop Kissing Their Caretaker! (VIDEO)
- Film About Farmer Who Sent His Herd of Cows to a Sanctuary Won a BAFTA Award!
- Dairy Farmer Tearfully Admits Mother Cows Cry for Days After Being Separated From Their Babies
- Think Dairy Cows Are Happy Cows? This Photo Will Change Your Mind
- Remembering Cincinnati Freedom: The Legendary Cow Who Escaped a Slaughterhouse
- Mother Cow Escapes Slaughterhouse to Save Her Calf!
- Study Finds Cows Talk, Share Feelings, and are Deserving of Our Compassion
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!