When this woman was 23 years old, she decided to adopt a retired greyhound racing dog who had been exploited her entire life. @milliethenoodlehorse was told that she would be very timid. The pup refused to get into a crate, refused to go up the stairs, and was overall sad and scared. Even though she kept her distance and was timid, she was always close enough by.
Finally, one day, her personality began to shine through. She took Millie to the beach for the first time, to lots of dog parks, and pet stores, and showed her so much love. Millie was happier than she had ever been thanks to her rescuer.
Look at all of the sweet parts of life that Millie has experienced since she was saved from being a racing dog!
Replying to @hentlyhtios #adopt
Millie even got to move into a big house with a backyard! She can now run around voluntarily and roll in the grass and have a great time!
We are so happy for Millie and that she has the life she truly deserves!
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to only adopt instead of shopping. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- Twice-Convicted Inmate Learns to Thrive and Finds Success Working With Retired Racehorses
- Huge Win For Greyhounds in Iowa As State’s Last Racetrack Officially Closes!
- Race Horse at Melbourne Cup Goes Lame
- Animal Races Are Anything But Entertaining — and Why They Need to Stop
- 5 Things to Know Before Adopting a Retired Racing Greyhound
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!