Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The Animal Foundation, a Las Vegas shelter, is looking for families willing to provide foster homes for a dog or a cat over the Thanksgiving holiday. They are looking for Nevada families who can commit to providing temporary foster homes for two weeks. Fostering gives dogs and cats a break from stressful shelter life and has been shown to boost their well-being.
The Animal Foundation will provide all the supplies needed for the foster animal’s two-week stay. All they ask is that the animal be well cared for over the two weeks in their foster home.
The program was initially created because so many dogs and cats spent the holiday season at the shelter. Animal Foundation staff felt that no one, human or animal, should be alone over the holidays. Now, the program is in its fifth year. Called Foster for the Holidays, it aims to provide shelter animals with the chance to receive some extra love and time to decompress over the holiday season.
We encourage everyone thinking of getting a pet to adopt instead of shop. Read more resources about adopting animals on One Green Planet, including 7 Reasons to Adopt Your Next Furry Best Friend, 5 Reasons Why Everyone Should Adopt a Pet, and These Heartwarming Before and After Pictures of Adopted Rescue Animals Will Make Your Day! Read tips for pet adoptions and what to consider before adopting an animal. We recommend using these apps to find shelter dogs near you!
- This Dog’s Shelter Stay Transformation Will Break Your Heart
- Fall-Themed Video Shows Foster Kittens Playing with Odd Toy
- Sweet Dog Abandoned in Dumpster Shows Severe Need for Foster Homes
- Cat Finally Gets a Friend After Fostering Dozens of Others
- Single Day in Foster Home Makes Huge Difference for One Dog
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!