This pineapple upside-down cake is just like the one that's probably camping out in the recesses of your dessert memories – but way better than that. Sweet caramelized pineapple rings, fluffy and tender cake, even the Maraschino cherries make an appearance!
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk plus 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, whisked
- 1 tablespoon boxed egg replacer plus 1/2 cup lukewarm water, whisked well
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil, or other neutral oil
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter, melted
- 1 cup demerara sugar, or other dark brown sugar
- 9 pineapple rings, drained
- 9 Maraschino cherries, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the soy milk mixture, the egg replacer, vanilla and canola oil. Mix to combine.
- In the bottom of your 9×13-inch pan, combine the melted non-dairy margarine and brown sugar and spread out as evenly as possible.
- Place the nine pineapple rings over the mixture, placing a cherry in the middle of each ring. Pour the cake batter over the fruit and spread out, again as evenly as possible, with a spatula.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the cake bounces back at your touch and you can see the bottom layer start to caramelize around the sides of the pan.
- Let cool in the pan on a baking rack, for about 15 minutes. Loosen the edges with a butter knife, then turn over onto a serving plate. Serve hot, warm or even at room temperature.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS