First, fresh asparagus stalks are steamed, leaving them with a tender and crispier texture than the oven-roasted method. It's then drizzled with a creamy white bean and artichoke aioli. The one ingredient that is so crucial for the savory flavor of this aioli recipe is the oven-roasted garlic. This side is perfect for spring dinners.
Steamed Asparagus With White Bean and Artichoke Aioli [Vegan]
- 1 pound asparagus, washed
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 artichoke hearts from a can, drained
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnishing
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut off and discard the ends of asparagus.
- Place a steamer basket inside a large pot. Fill it with 2 cups of water. Place the asparagus inside the basket. Cover and steam until asparagus are bright green and tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove asparagus from the basket and place on a large plate.
- Meanwhile, place garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, bean, ume plum vinegar, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, artichoke hearts, and basil leaves in the bowl of a food processor. Process for 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- Spoon it over asparagus or serve it on the side. Right before serving, sprinkle it with black pepper.
This recipe makes two cups of aioli. You can store leftovers in an airtight jar in the refrigerator for up to three days.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS