Are you a Creme Egg junkie? This is the perfect homemade solution. And you will not taste the difference- we swear. If anything, these are better. Isn't that always the case with things made from scratch?
Cadbury Creme Eggs [Vegan]
- You can get fancy with egg shaped chocolate moulds, but it's not necessary.
- Cream together the corn syrup and butter until light and fluffy with an electric beater. Add the powdered sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, a little at a time until completely incorporated. Mix in the vanilla extract and salt. The texture should be as thick as possible while still being slightly pourable, like the middle ground between batter and dough. Separate into two containers, and in one, add a few drops yellow food coloring and just one drop red. Place both containers in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Grease a mini muffin pan and spoon a heaping spoonful of the white “dough” into as many cups as possible. Add a a smaller spoonful (the “yolk”) of the yellow “dough” on top of each. Cover with plastic wrap and let firm up in the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the chocolate (about a 24-ounce bag should do) in a microwave safe bowl with the coconut oil in 10-second intervals, stirring in between each until chocolate is finally melted.
- Once the “dough” in the muffin pan is firm, remove it from the freezer and prepare a large sheet of waxed paper near the bowl of melted chocolate. Remove an “egg” from the pan, and form it into an egg shape before quickly dipping it in the chocolate and placing it on the wax paper. Repeat with each egg. You may need to do it in small intervals as the dough starts to warm up and becomes stick again (if this happens, but the pan back in the freezer for a couple of minutes). Make sure the chocolate coating is thick enough that the filling won’t ooze through once at room temperature- you may need to dip a couple of times even after the chocolate has hardened for this reason. You can also add fun designs with a toothpick while the chocolate is still slightly soft.