These Raffaello candy-inspired bites are made of wholesome, natural ingredients and will get you hooked before you can say "coconut." The almonds wrapped in soft, creamy and sweet coconut “dough” are crazy addictive!
Healthy ‘Raffaello’ (Coconut-Almond Truffles) [Vegan]
- 1 cup desiccated coconut, unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut cream (not milk), unsweetened
- 12 almonds (peeled if you like, I used natural unpeeled ones)
- More unsweetened coconut for rolling (about 1/4 cup)
- Combine the first three ingredients in a bowl until a compact dough is formed.
- Let it sit for 15-30 minutes in the fridge. It will firm up a bit (if you’re in a hurry, you can skip this step, it will be a bit trickier to form the dough into balls, but it’s totally doable).
- Divide into 12 parts and form into balls with an almond in the center of each.
- Roll each ball in more coconut.
- Take a moment to pat yourself on the back and feel accomplished.
- Dig in!
- These little guys keep well in the fridge for at least a week (that is, if you can restrain yourself for that long).
If you have trouble finding coconut cream, you should be able to use the thick top part of canned coconut milk (if you let the can sit for a day or so without shaking it, the thick creamy part of milk will float to the top).