These chocolatey treats are a healthier alternative to traditional cupcakes. Completely flourless, the "cake" is made from dark chocolate combined with coconut milk, chia seeds, and agar agar. It's topped with a cool, thick, and creamy coconut frosting that you'll want to eat by the spoonful. For decoration, use chopped chocolate, seasonal fruit, or whatever you prefer.
Flourless Chocolate Chia Cupcakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Chocolate Cupcake:
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 vegan dark chocolate bar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons agar agar flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Coconut Frosting:
- 1 15.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
To Make the Cupcake:
- In a pot, combine ingredients for the cupcakes except agar agar.
- Cook over gentle heat, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes. Add agar agar and cook for another minute.
- Pour into silicone cupcake moulds. Cool for 20 minutes, then transfer to the freezer for 2 hours.
To Make the Coconut Frosting:
- Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the cream. Save the water for smoothies.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a mixer, whip coconut milk until stiff peaks start to form. Add sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until stiff.
- Dollop over the cupcakes and serve.