The lively colors of this dish work well, particularly with the somewhat duller rainy skies, it pairs perfectly with almost anything I can think of. The flavors perky enough to hold their own with a heavier and bold flavoring and light enough to be served with something light and simple like tofu.
Methi Gobi: Indian Cauliflower With Ginger and Fenugreek [Vegan]
4 - 6
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 11/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 medium sized cauliflower chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek
- 2 tablespoons vegan yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Cilantro to garnish
- Heat the oil on medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the mustard seeds and heat until the seeds begin to crackle.
- Add in the onion and the ginger and saute the onion for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower and cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the green peas if using.
- Mix in the turmeric, chili powder and salt and stir well.
- Add in the tomatoes and cover and cook for five minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir well.
- Mix in the dried fenugreek, yogurt and the sugar and cover and cook for another five minutes until the vegetables are nice and soft.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve.