You've never had zucchini noodles like this before! This 'pasta' dish has a spicy tomato-lentil sauce that adds more flavor and texture than your typical marinara would. These noodles make for a light yet satisfying meal that contains a good portion of protein, little fat, and plenty of complex carbohydrates.
Zucchini Pasta With Spicy Tomato and Lentil Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup of green lentils, dry
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable broth
- Some oil or water for frying
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Cumin, salt, pepper, dried herbs (Italian herb mixture), chili and paprika, to the taste (around 1/4 teaspoon)
- Some agave, rice syrup, or a pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- Fresh parsley, sesame seeds, and pepper for topping
- Place the lentils with the water and the vegetable broth in a saucepan and simmer for about 30 minutes at medium heat until the liquid has evaporated. Stir occasionally. If necessary, add a little more water after cooking and allow the lenses to boil longer if the lenses are still too hard.
- Heat a little oil or water in a pan and fry the onion pieces for a few minutes. Add the garlic and continue for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the tomato paste in the pan and fry briefly. Then add the water and red wine vinegar.
- Season with cumin, salt, pepper, dried herbs, chili, paprika, and syrup or sugar. Allow to cook for about 20 minutes at low heat. Then add the mint and the parsley.
- Once the lentils are cooked, place in the pan and stir well. If the sauce is too thick, just add more water.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes and taste to taste with more spices. If needed, add more tomato paste.
- You can make the courgette noodles raw on the plates or pre-fry in a separate pan with a little oil for about 5 minutes (depending on the thickness) or on the desired consistency.
- Add tomato and lentil sauce over the noodles, top with fresh parsley, sesame seeds, and pepper.