This soup is always a crowd-pleaser with the robust sausage flavors and creamy comfort of the potatoes. It’s hard not to have seconds and even thirds!
Zippy Zuppa Toscana [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 vegan Italian sausage links, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large russet potatoes, sliced in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4-inch (2-cm) slices
- 6 cups (1.4 L) vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons (16 g) cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 cups (90 g) baby spinach
- Crushed red pepper (optional
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and sausage. Sauté for 4 to 6 minutes, until the onions have softened and sausage has slightly browned. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Add the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, and mix until well combined.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until lumps have been worked out.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the soup and bring back to a simmer. Add the lemon juice and spinach. Continue to simmer for 4 to 6 minutes, until the soup has slightly thickened and the spinach has completely wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper (if using).