My yummy Yam Banana Mash doesn’t have a lot of ingredients, but it packs a ton of flavor. The sweetness of the tubers made even sweeter with banana and maple syrup and brightened up with orange zest and juice. They are creamy, delicious, and have a beautiful jewel tone. A must for a special dinner! And if you end up with leftovers, don’t despair. Simply add some flour and, in just a few minutes, you will have Yam Cakes that are crispy on the outside and smooth and creamy on the inside. Whether you call them yams or sweet potatoes, I call them delicious!
Yam Banana Mash Cakes [Vegan]
- 2 large yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium banana
- 1 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbs. vegan butter
- Zest and juice of one orange
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Put the yam cubes into a large pot, cover with cold water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Let cook until the yams are fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain the yams and set aside.
- In the same pot add the banana, the butter and the orange juice. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add the yams back into the pot. Add the maple syrup, nutmeg, salt, pepper and orange zest. Mix it all together, mashing the yams.
- Take refrigerated leftover mashed yams. Add about ½ cup of flour to absorb the moisture (you may need more or less). Form into patties and fry until golden brown. Enjoy!