My yummy Yam Banana Mash doesn’t have a lot of ingredients, but it packs a ton of flavor. The sweetness of the tubers made even sweeter with banana and maple syrup and brightened up with orange zest and juice. They are creamy, delicious, and have a beautiful jewel tone. A must for a special dinner! And if you end up with leftovers, don’t despair. Simply add some flour and, in just a few minutes, you will have Yam Cakes that are crispy on the outside and smooth and creamy on the inside. Whether you call them yams or sweet potatoes, I call them delicious!
Yam Banana Mash Cakes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Yam Banana Mash Cakes [Vegan]
- 2 large yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 medium banana
- 1 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbs. vegan butter
- Zest and juice of one orange
- Pinch of nutmeg
How to Prepare Yam Banana Mash Cakes [Vegan]
- Put the yam cubes into a large pot, cover with cold water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Let cook until the yams are fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain the yams and set aside.
- In the same pot add the banana, the butter and the orange juice. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add the yams back into the pot. Add the maple syrup, nutmeg, salt, pepper and orange zest. Mix it all together, mashing the yams. For the Yam Cakes
- Take refrigerated leftover mashed yams. Add about ½ cup of flour to absorb the moisture (you may need more or less). Form into patties and fry until golden brown. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 684 | Total Carbs: 116 g | Total Fat: 23 g | Total Protein: 8 g | Total Sodium: 353 mg | Total Sugar: 49 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.