This salad is brimming with nutritious, whole food ingredients that are bursting with the vitamins, minerals, fiber, and healthy fats to keep you feeling vibrant and energized all winter long. Add some healthy color to your plate and find the comfort in a warm, filling, winter salad filled with roasted veggies, juicy oranges, crunchy pumpkin seeds, and tender red winter wheat berries.
Winter Wheat Berry Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup Wheat Berries, rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large beet, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups baby spinach, chard, or kale or a mix, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 large orange or two mandarins, segmented (or cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400ºF. Prepare two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Toss the chopped sweet potatoes and beets with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on the sheet pans and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the veggies are baking, cook the rinsed wheat berries according to package instructions.
- When the wheat berries are tender, drain any excess water and return to the pot. Stir in the greens and allow to wilt. Remove the roasted veggies from the oven. Combine the wheat berries and wilted greens with the remaining warm roasted veggies and remaining salad ingredients.
- Stir together the dressing ingredients, adding water a tablespoon at a time plus extra, if needed, until you achieve the desired thinness.
- You may mix the dressing into the salad now or serve on the side. After dressing the salad I like to top with extra cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and a dash of salt and pepper.