This is a big salad with a lot of components, but it’s worth the effort. Alongside the nuts and seeds, the wild rice brings plenty of protein to this dish. You can cook it ahead of time as long as you cool it quickly after cooking and keep it in the fridge.
Wild Rice Super Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Wild Rice Super Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed ¼ head of red cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1/2 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 beetroot, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and very finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 large handful of radicchio or other bitter leaves, roughly torn
- 1/3 cup toasted and chopped hazelnuts or walnuts
- Ground allspice, to taste
- A small handful of fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup mixed seeds (poppy, pumpkin, and sesame are ideal)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Prepare Wild Rice Super Salad [Vegan]
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add the rice and bring to a simmer. Cook for 35–40 minutes, until tender, topping up with a little more water if and when needed. (Note that wild rice, unlike white rice, has a chewy bite when cooked.) When ready, cool in a sieve under cold running water, then set aside to drain.
- While the rice cooks, combine the cabbage, onion, beetroot, and fennel in a large bowl and stir in the vinegar, mustard, and a pinch of salt. Set aside to soften.
- Add the cooled rice to the cabbage mixture along with the apple, radicchio, hazelnuts, allspice, and dill. Add the olive oil and a twist of pepper before mixing well.
- Divide the salad between 2 bowls and finish with a scattering of mixed seeds.
For a warm salad: Oven roast the beetroots in wedges for about 1 hour, Add the fennel, cabbage, and shallots for the last 20 minutes, and stir them through the just-cooked rice before adding everything else for the final mix.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Wild Rice
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.