The wild rice in these stuffed acorn squashes pops in your mouth and is flavored with a triad of spices: sage, rosemary, and thyme. They're mixed with the rice, along with celery and onion in a blend that tastes remarkably like bread stuffing and then baked in a roasted acorn squash half. It all comes together perfectly: the stuffing doesn't overcook inside the tender and sweet squash.
Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash [Vegan]
For the Acorn Squash Bowls:
- 3 acorn squash
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
For the Wild Rice Stuffing:
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon, plus 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
How to Prepare Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Remove the stems from the acorn squash and cut the dried part off the bottom. Scrape the seeds out with a spoon and discard. Using a basting brush, lightly coat the fleshy part of the squash with olive oil. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Bake in a 375ºF oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the flesh is soft and creamy.
- Meanwhile, cook your wild rice by combining with water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- About 15 minutes before the squash and the rice are going to finish cooking, make your stuffing. Sauté the diced celery and onion in a skillet with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Add the spices to the pan and cook for an additional minute, then remove from the heat. Fold in the cooked wild rice, cranberries, and pecans.
- Scoop the rice stuffing into the cooked acorn squash bowls so that they are heaping full. Cover and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.