Wholegrain Pizza crust turns out soft and chewy at the center and a little crisp at the edges. It is nutty, healthy and hearty and with loads of veggies!
Wholegrain Pizza Crust [Vegan]
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup warm water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the first five ingredients. Add half cup water plus a little more. Mix everything until evenly combined. If the dough seems hard and dry add more water until it becomes soft but not very sticky. Do not knead the dough. Just mix everything till evenly combined.
- Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough until smooth and elastic. It will take about 6-8 minutes. If the dough feels stiff, add more water and knead again. Cover and let the dough rest for 45-60 minutes or until it doubles in volume.
- Punch the dough and divide into 6-8 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out each piece into round pizza bases. I made longish bases to fit three into the baking tray at a time. Arrange them on the prepared baking tray. Cover and let rest for 30-40 minutes or until these become very puffy. In the last stages of rising, preheat oven to 375ºF. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prick the pizza bases with a knife or a fork and bake for 8-10 minutes or until you see a slight change in color at the edges.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Whole Wheat Pizza bases are ready. You may spread sauce and toppings of choice. Bake for another 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned.
- Note: It is convenient to prepare pizza bases in advance if you are planning to have pizzas for a meal. It saves a lot of time if you have bases ready. All you have to do is to spread sauce and toppings of choice and bake for another 8-10 minutes.
- Whole Wheat