Your kids – or your neighbors’– would love you with all their hearts if you were to feed them these brownies, but they are very adult-friendly too. In fact, they would make perfect Thanksgiving treats. For a fun variation, you could strew the top with little marshmallows instead of nuts. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy, all!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Brownies [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Brownies [Vegan]
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed firm tofu + 2 tbsp non-dairy milk, blended until very smooth
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
How To Make Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Brownies [Vegan]
- Mix the baking powder, salt, and cayenne with the flour. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a pan set over a pot of simmering water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the pumpkin with the oil, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the tofu, sugar and vanilla for about 3 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and homogeneous.
- Add the flour and beat it in until it is just mixed. Scrape down the sides with a spatula to mix everything well together.
- Pour half the batter into the bowl with the pumpkin mixture. Mix thoroughly so everything is well incorporated.
- To the remaining half of the batter, add the chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or foil, shiny side down. Coat the foil with some vegan butter or oil.
- Pour half the chocolate batter into the bottom of the pan. Smooth it out to the corners in an even layer using a rubber spatula.
- Pour half the pumpkin batter on top of the chocolate and smooth again.
- Repeat with the remaining chocolate batter and finally the remaining pumpkin batter. Make sure you smooth out each layer so its spread evenly. The batter’s not very liquid, so its a little like spreading frosting on a cake.
- Sprinkle the top with walnuts. Then bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove to a rack, cool, then remove from the pan using the foil overhang as handles. Cut and serve.
- Whole Wheat
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 305 | Carbs: 42 g | Fat: 15 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 63 mg | Sugar: 27 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Hello! These look amazing!! However, I have been avoiding soy for a variety of reasons, so I was wondering what (if anything) could I use instead of the tofu? I don’t need it to be vegan, so if using milk or something else, that would be okay too :)