When it comes to roasting veggies, artichokes seem to elude most — but follow this recipe and worrying over how to prepare these delicious edible flowers (yes, they are flowers!) will be a thing of the past. Baby artichokes are halved and then roasted with garlic and herbs so their flavor is not overwhelmed. Serve these with a simple dip and other vegetables to make it a meal.
Whole Roasted Baby Artichoke [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 baby artichokes
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dried minced garlic, to garnish
- Start by preparing the artichoke and preheat the oven to 400°F. Snap off the bottom most outer leaves (about two layers).
- Now cut to remove the upper part of the artichoke. Cut away about an inch from the top. Cut the artichoke from bottom to top into half and quickly squeeze some lemon or lime juice over the exposed parts of the artichoke to prevent browning.
- With a little spoon, remove the fuzzy part of the artichoke, also known as the choke.
- Place the artichokes in a baking dish (leaves down) and sprinkle the garlic chips (or powder), dried basil, cayenne, and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil to coat the artichokes and place them into the oven for about 25 minutes (depending on the size of your oven). You can check if they are done by poking the heart of the artichoke with a skewer, to see if it will easily go through. If so. it is done. Garnish with dried minced garlic and serve.