A beautifully flavorful and whole food meal made in one pot! This black bean salsa rice is perfect for a busy weeknight. Just use your pressure cooker for a quick meal that is flavorful and filling!
Whole Food Black Bean Salsa Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry black beans (soaked for 3 to 4 hours)
- 3/4 cup brown Basmati or other long grain rice
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Turn the saute mode on your pressure cooker and add the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until they soften.
- Add the black beans and the rice and the corn and stir well to mix.
- Add the oregano, thyme, cumin, paprika, and red cayenne powder and stir.
- Add the turmeric and salt.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water. Cancel the saute mode and cover the pressure cooker.
- Set on pressure cook mode (high) for 7 minutes. Allow for a natural steam release.
- Remove the cover, stir in the lime juice and stir in the cilantro.
It is important to soak the black beans to ensure that they cook at the same time as the rice.