This is a simple, flavor-packed hearty meal of wheat berries, kale, and butter beans sautéed together in a little bit of olive oil with kale and onions and spices. It’s filling on its own for lunch, you can bring it to a picnic or potluck, or make it a part of a nice evening meal. Butter beans brings heft to the dish; they add a boost of protein and fiber, making it a complete meal.
Wheat Berries, Kale, and Butter Beans Stew [Vegan]
For the Wheat Berries:
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, optional
- 1 small red chili pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Butter Beans:
- 1 cup dried butter/lima beans or gigantes beans, picked over and soaked overnight or 2 15-ounce cans of butter beans, drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small dried bay leaf
For the Rest:
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped roughly
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt or to taste
To Make Wheat Berries:
- In a large pot, combine wheat berries with water, vinegar, garlic, pepper, and salt and cook over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook covered until wheat berries are soft but chewy, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Check and stir occasionally while wheat berries are cooking, and if all the liquid gets absorbed before the wheat berries are done, add a little more water (in 1/4 cup increments).
- Drain, discard garlic and pepper, and set aside.
To Make Beans:
- Rinse beans place in a large pot, cover with about 2 1/2 inches water and add garlic and bay leaf.
- Cook over medium-high heat, bring to a boil and let beans cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat and let beans simmer until tender (but not bursting), about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add salt, cook for another 5 or so minutes, and turn off heat.
- Drain beans when ready to use. Remove and discard garlic and bay leaf.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or skillet.
- Stir in mustard seeds and cumin and cook for about a minute until the seeds start popping.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté, stirring often for about 2 minutes until onions soften and become fragrant.
- Add kale and stir occasionally until kale starts to wilt.
- Add in wheat berries and beans, toss gently to mix and let cook covered for 4 to 5 minutes under low heat.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add lemon juice and serve warm.
Total Calories: 1048 | Total Carbs: 173 g | Total Fat: 44 g | Total Protein: 50 g | Total Sodium: 3291 g | Total Sugar: 6 g