This dish is essentially a large stir-fry, and it’s healthier to make at home compared to Chinese takeout versions. Chow mein sauces do not have to be complicated. For this recipe, it's pared it down to the essentials: only soy sauce and vegan oyster sauce. You can start with the amount listed for this recipe, and add more to taste. You can also add more flavors by including minced garlic and ginger in the sauce.
15-Minute Vegetarian Chow Mein [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 8 ounces chow mein noodles or gluten-free spaghetti noodles
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons vegan oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and soak in ice water.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat. Add carrots and bell pepper, cooking until they soften, 5-10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add cabbage and zucchini to the pan, cooking until they shrink, about 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Drain noodles and add them to the pan, mixing with the other ingredients.
- Add soy sauce and oyster sauce to the pan. Stir until well-mixed. Serve immediately.