This soup is warming and full of delicious vegetables!
Vegetable Shabu-Shabu Bowl [Vegan]
- 6 ounces dried udon noodles
- 1/2 ounce kombu, rinsed
- 1/2 ounce wakame, rinsed
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 11/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 heads baby bok choy (4 ounces each), sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 14 ounces soft tofu, cut into 1/2‑inch pieces
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
- Bring 2 quarts water to boil in large saucepan. Add udon noodles and cook, stirring often, until tender. Drain noodles and set aside.
- Bring 9 cups water, kombu, and wakame to brief boil in large pot over medium heat. Off heat, discard seaweed. Stir in mirin, fish sauce, and sugar and bring to simmer over medium heat. Stir in bok choy and carrots and simmer until crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide tofu, mushrooms, and noodles among individual serving bowls and ladle broth over top. Serve.