Be it breakfast, brunch, dinner or lunch, these home-fry biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to any main dish. Hey, they're even great alone with some plant-based spread and a cup of tea!
Vegetable Home-Fry Biscuits [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 recipe dough for Biscuits (below)
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted unscented coconut oil
- Leaves from 1 sprig rosemary
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup arrowroot
- ½ cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons vegan sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup "butter" (below), cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1¼ cups cold water
- 1½ cups melted unscented coconut oil
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¾ cup rice milk
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons granular sunflower lecithin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour,arrowroot, potato starch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, yeast, xanthan gum, and salt. Add the butter and½ cup of the cold water to the flour mixture and, usingyour fingertips, mix until well incorporated. Pour in the remaining ¾ cup water and mix until the dough comes together, but no more than necessary. If the dough is too dry, add more water one small splash at a time.
- Line a shallow pan, such as a loaf pan, with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine the coconut oil and canola oil, stir gently, and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the rice milk, coconut milk, agave nectar, sunflower lecithin, salt, and xanthan gum and blend for 1 minute. Very slowly add half of the oil mixture, followed by the lemon juice, and then the remaining oil mixture. Blend for 1 more minute.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and refrigerate until solid, about 3½ hours. Chop the butter into 1-inch cubes and store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- In a medium bowl, combine the red and green bell pepper, onion, paprika, salt, and a little black pepper. Add the oil and rosemary and toss together. Using a rubber spatula, fold the vegetables into the biscuit dough.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Using your fingertips, press the dough out until it is about 2 inches high. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and put them on the prepared sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Rotate the sheet 180 degrees and bake until the biscuits are baked through and the outsides are golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Let the biscuits cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before serving.
- Rice Flour