This recipe for casserole brings new to a classic dish. It's full of fresh vegetables that are blanketed in a simple, savory sauce, and then topped with a crunchy macadamia-breadcrumb topping that browns in the oven. This casserole is the perfect meal for a family dinner!
Vegetable Casserole With Creamy Sauce and Crunchy Macadamia Topping [Vegan]
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh corn
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 2 teaspoon tahini
- 7 ounces coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup macadamias
- Preheat oven to 390°F. Peel and cook the potatoes for 10-15 minutes. You only want them just about to be soft. Drain and let cool, then cut into slices.
- Wash and cut the vegetables into slices. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and distribute the slices. Season with a little salt and pepper and pre-roast the vegetables in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Heat coconut milk in a saucepan, add 2 teaspoons tahini. Bring slowly to a boil. Prepare the potato starch with a bit of water (see manufacturer's instructions) and carefully whisk into the boiling sauce. The sauce should now begin to set. If it gets too firm, add vegetable broth until you get the desired consistency. Season with pressed garlic, salt, and pepper.
- To prepare the topping, place bread crumbs and macadamias in a food processor and blend until a crumble forms.
- Assemble the potato casserole. Begin with half the vegetables, then half the potatoes. Add about half of the sauce and repeat. Finally, top with the crunchy macadamia mix. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until the top browns.