Sawine is a comforting, rich, and aromatic dessert that's usually served during the Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations. This delicious treat is made with vermicelli noodles, plant-based milk, aromatic spices, and traditionally served, topped with raisins and toasted nuts.
Vegan Sawine (A Traditional Eid-ul-Fitr Dessert ) [Vegan]
For the Vermicelli:
- 1 Cup Parched Vermicelli
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
For the Spiced Milk:
- 3 Cups Oat Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cardamom Powder
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- Few sticks of clove
For the Toppings:
- 1 Handful of Raisins
- 1 teaspoon Vegan Butter
- 1 Handful of Almonds
- Add all of the spiced oat milk ingredients to a pot and simmer on medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Then remove from heat.
- In another pot, add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. When the water begins to boil add the sugar and parched Vermicelli.
- Cook until the Vermicelli is tender then turn off the heat and allow to sit for a few minutes, until the Vermicelli has absorbed the liquid.
- In another pan, on low heat add a handful of slivered almonds and quickly toast until golden brown. Remove toasted almonds and set aside for serving.
- In the same pan, on medium-low heat add 1 teaspoon Vegan Butter and a handful of raisins or Sultanas. Toss the raisins with the butter until they are softened. Remove from heat and set aside for serving.
- To serve; add cooked vermicelli to a dessert cup, pour over with warm spiced milk, and top with raisins and almonds.