I know these hazelnut cookies are called tea cakes, but honestly, I’ve been inhaling them before/after dinner and as an after work snack, so to me, they are anytime cookies at this point. If you have hazelnuts in your cupboard, just hanging out casually, go ahead and do yourself a favor and just make these!
Vegan Russian Tea Cakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted and skinned
- ½ non-dairy milk
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, pulse hazelnuts until they are finely ground. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the flour, salt, coconut oil, vanilla extract, ground hazelnuts, and milk. Mixture should be able to stick together when pressed into balls.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Let cookies cool. Dip the tops in the powdered sugar after they have cooled.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
Pleaseeee don’t overbake these! If you overbake them they will become dry and too crunchy, so just don’t put yourself through that!