One of my favorite chocolate confections to eat before going full vegan was the Ferrero Rocher. It is a whole roasted hazelnut encased with a creamy milk chocolate center, a wafer shell and then more chocolate. This cake is a decadent treat and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth.
Vegan Ferrero Rocher Mousse Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake
- 1 recipe Hazelnut Butter (recipe follows)
- 1 recipe Ferrero Rocher Truffles (recipe follows)
- 1/2 Recipe Hazelnut Cake bake into an 8" cake pan
For the Mousse:
- 5 ounces Vegan Gianduja Chocolate
- 4 ounces Vegan Semi Sweet Chocolate
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Hazelnut Butter (homemade or store bought)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk refrigerated overnight
For the Ganache:
- 4 ounces vegan semi sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- First prepare the hazelnut cake according to the directions on that blog post, but you will bake the batter into an 8" cake pan
- While the cake is cooling, combine the hazelnut butter with the cocoa powder and whisk smooth
- Prepare the mousse by melting both chocolates together over a double boiler.
- Add the chocolate hazelnut butter and whisk smooth
- Add warmed almond milk to the chocolate mixture then whisk smooth
- Open the cold cans of coconut milk and skim the fat from the tops (discard the coconut water that remains or reserve it for another recipe)
- Whip the coconut fat to stiff peaks then fold it into the chocolate mixture
- Pour the mousse into the prepared ring mold with the cake inserted into the bottom.
- Freeze the cake for at least 4 hours or until it is firm enough to unmold
- Meanwhile prepare the Vegan Ferrero Rocher truffles
- Prepare the ganache by combining the 4 ounces of semi sweet chocolate and 1/4 cup almond milk together in a small saucepot and whisk constantly to smooth and melted.
- Cool slightly then pour over the mousse cake and decorate with the truffles
Before preparing the mousse and assembling the cake be sure to have your cake layer baked ahead of time. The truffles can be made ahead or while the mousse is chilling to set as this will take several hours