Rotini pasta is the best to use because the spirals hold onto the sauce and really grab it, plus it has a nice texture to it too. If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop the veggies into very very small pieces instead so they don’t overwhelm the pasta. Also, make sure not to use too much broccoli or you will end up with a more pungent pasta creation (as broccoli contains sulfur, it can be strong smelling).
Broccoli Mushroom Rotini Casserole [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Broccoli Mushroom Rotini Casserole [Vegan]
For the Casserole:
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 16 ounces whole-wheat rotini, elbows or spirals
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Paprika, to garnish
- White pepper, to garnish
- Herbamare or salt, to garnish
For the Cheesy Sauce:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 5 teaspoon brown rice miso paste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
How to Prepare Broccoli Mushroom Rotini Casserole [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt if desired. Cook rotini or spirals for about 6 minutes just until al dente. (Do not overcook)
- Pulse, broccoli, mushrooms, onions and garlic separately in a food processor (unless you have a very large one) until broken into tiny pieces. Add to a large wok or sauté pan and cook for 7 minutes until soft. Add a little water or vegetable broth as necessary to cook.
- Blend cheezy sauce ingredients in a blender and taste test. Adjust seasonings if desired with more salt and pepper or smoked paprika.
- Drain rotini and add to sauté pan and pour sauce over (or combine in a large pot if you don’t have a lot of room). Toss to coat.
- Pour into a large casserole pan. Top with panko breadcrumbs and smoked paprika.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is best served fresh, but if you need to reheat it, rebake it or else the panko bread crumbs will be mushy.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 2130 | Total Carbs: 423 g | Total Fat: 26 g | Total Protein: 88 g | Total Sodium: 1588 g | Total Sugar: 25 g Per Serving: Calories: 355 | Carbs: 71 g | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 15 g | Sodium: 265 mg | Sugar: 4 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.