Fluffy pancakes flavored with fragrant chai spice and studded with juicy strawberries ... what could be better for breakfast on a lazy weekend morning?
Vanilla Chai Strawberry Pancakes [Vegan]
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk, plus 2 teaspoons loose leaf chai tea
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional add in: 3-4 strawberries cut into tiny little pieces
- Heat almond milk to a light simmer (but do not let it boil) and remove from heat. Stir in the chai tea and steep for 5-10 minutes. In the meantime whisk together spelt flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Once the tea is fully steeped in the almond milk, strain it into a small bowl or glass measuring cup (if there are loose leaf tea remnants in the milk that is okay). Stir the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla into the warm almond milk. Mix until coconut oil is fully melted. Pour the almond milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add in the strawberries.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat lightly with coconut oil. Once the skillet is hot** drop 2 tablespoons of batter onto the skillet. Pancakes are ready to be flipped when you can see the edges bubbling (approximately two minutes on the first side and one on the second side).
- Serve hot with plenty of maple syrup and strawberries!