These Fluffy Vanilla Bean Scones with Vanilla Glaze really puts vanilla at center stage. And boy does it shine.
Vanilla Bean Scones with Vanilla Glaze [Vegan]
For the Scones:
- 1 Stick Non-Dairy Butter, COLD + cut into cubes
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt 1/8 teaspoon if using fine grain salt
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Vanilla Bean, Scraped
For the Glaze:
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean, scraped
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 5-6 teaspoons Plant Milk
For the Scones:
- Preheat oven to 425* F and Line a sheet tray with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a small bowl, combine plant milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the seeds from the scraped vanilla bean. Whisk to combine, being sure to break up any clumps of vanilla bean.
- Add the cubed non-dairy butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, work the butter into the flour until the butter is the size of small peas.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour butter mixture and using a spatula, gently fold until everything is just combined.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and gently press into a circle that is 6-7 inches in diameter.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the circle into 6 triangles. Place the triangles onto a lined sheet tray and bake in a 425* oven for 18-20 minutes or until the scones are golden all the way across the bottom.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before glazing.
For the Vanilla Glaze:
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla bean, and vanilla extract. Add the plant milk 1 teaspoon at a time, stirring with a whisk in between each addition, until you reach a consistency that can be drizzled.
- Once scones have cooled for 10 minutes, use a spoon to drizzle the desired amount of glaze onto each scone.