The combination of coconut base and gooey date caramel inside gives it such a delicious taste.
‘Twix’ Bars [Vegan]
For the base:
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/8 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (or coconut cream)
- 1 tablespoon pure date syrup (alternatively use maple syrup)
For the caramel layer:
- 2 cups pitted dates (soaked in warm water for 1 hour)
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (almond or cashew)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the coating:
- 2 cups dark chocolate (75%)
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 360ºF.
- Place all the ingredients for the base in a medium sized bowl and mix together. Make sure that the dough is sticky enough by pressing it together with your fingers. If it's too crumbly, add some more date/ maple syrup and coconut oil.
- Line a 24 cm baking tin with parchment paper and press the base dough inside until it is evenly spread (make sure to press it firmly and even it out, so it won't break apart). Bake at 360ºF for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place all ingredients for the caramel layer into a blender and mix for 3-5 minutes until combined. To help with the blending soak the dates in warm water for approx. 1 hour.
- Spread the caramel layer over the base and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Cut into small bars and coat with melted chocolate mixed together with the melted coconut oil. Set in the freezer to dry.