Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein, and can be turned into such delicious spreads. This chickpea spread has an Italian spin on it, and pairs wonderfully with veggies, bread, and whatever else you like to dip with.
Tuscan Style Chickpea Spread [Vegan]
- 1 jar or can of chickpeas (or 2 cups freshly made)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (about half a medium sized onion)
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium tomato, deseeded and finely diced (I used a handful of cherry tomatoes)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (about a tablespoon)
- A handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then pulse them in a food processor along with the broth until chunky as opposed to pureed. Work in batches if necessary.
- On medium high, heat the olive oil and red pepper flakes in a large skillet then sauté the onions until they have softened and are just starting to change color.
- Reduce the heat slightly, then add the garlic and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and allow the tomatoes cook for a minute or so. Add the smashed chickpeas, stir to combine and heat through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat stir in the lemon juice and fresh parsley. Adjust the flavor by adding more salt, pepper, olive oil or lemon juice as desired.
- This is best served at room temperature or slightly warm. Scoop it up with vegetables or spread it on any type of cracker or bread that takes your fancy.