Move aside cinnamon rolls, there is another roll in town, one that can definitely hold it’s own against you, a much-loved dessert! These fluffy golden rolls are infused with turmeric and filled with coconut and cacao, so they are a real crowd pleaser. You can eat these buns straight out of the oven as they are or top them with whatever frosting you like.
Turmeric Coconut Cacao Cinnamon Rolls [Vegan]
For the Rolls:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pack instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- Turmeric, as desired
For the Filling:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar (could also use brown or coconut sugar)
- Start with blooming the yeast by adding the sugar and yeast to warm plant based milk. Note that the milk has to be warm and not boiling hot.
- After about 5 minutes, the yeast should bloom and at this point you can add the melted coconut oil, turmeric, and flour. When adding the flour, add half a cup a time and knead until you get a nice and firm dough that doesn't stick to your hands. Now. place the dough ball in a bowl and cover it so it won't dry out while we're letting it rest for about 45 minutes or until it has doubled in size. Let it sit at a warm place.
- Once the dough has doubled in size you can make the filling. Melt the coconut and add all the ingredients to a bowl, mix it well and set it aside.
- Now, roll out the dough into a rectangle and spread the filling mixture on top, leaving an inch from the bottom empty, this will make it easier to close. Here you can also sprinkle some extra desiccated coconut on top of the mixture. Roll it up into a log and cut it into even slices.
- Grease a baking dish. You can optionally dust the bottom with sugar and then cacao. Now, place the rolls in the dish and cover it to let the rolls rise for another 45 minutes in a warm place. Preheat your oven to about 345°F.
- After the rolls have doubled in size, you can pop them in the oven to bake them for about 18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. You can easily eat them as is or top them with a frosting.