One of my favorite things about eating raw foods is that often dessert and breakfast can be the same meal! Who doesn't want a chocolatey raw cacao and banana smoothie, or banana soft serve with fruit and coconut cream for breakfast. In this instance, I made a sweet and fruity tropical coconut & passionfruit chia pudding for breakfast; but I could easily enjoy it as a healthy, sweet dessert too. If you aren't familiar with chia seeds, they are superfood seeds packed with goodness. They contain tons of soluble and insoluble fiber - great for digestion and they have more omega 3's than salmon. They contain many minerals such as iron, potassium, and calcium and are very high in antioxidants. They're also gluten-free. I use chia seeds almost every day: - I like to add a tablespoon to my daily smoothies for a boost of energy and nutrients. - I also sprinkle it onto my oatmeal. - I make "agua fresca" with it. To do this, you simply add chia seeds to a pitcher of water and fill it with fresh fruits and a bit of sweetness. I like to use lime juice and honey and give the mix a very quick blend in the vita-mix. Adding a few drops of liquid chlorophyll is a great idea to boost health too, and we called this "swamp water" at my last job. (Note: keep the vitamix on the lowest setting possible or the chia seeds will be crushed.) - I use chia seeds to replace eggs with them. If you take 1 tbsp of chia seeds, and stir them into 3 - 4 tbsp of water and let the mixture sit for 5 - 10 minutes, you will notice it thickens a ton and becomes a gel. This can act as a binding agent instead of eggs in almost all recipes. - I make chia pudding for breakfast or dessert. Chia pudding can be so versatile and you can really mix in whatever flavor you like. I always add a bit of sweetness, whether it be through xylitol, stevia, maple syrup, or honey. For this particular recipe, I used tropical fruits like coconut and passionfruit, along with vanilla powder for a healthy, filling breakfast.
Coconut and Passion Fruit Chia Pudding [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Coconut and Passion Fruit Chia Pudding [Vegan]
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener of choice (ie. maple syrup, xylitol, stevia, sugar)
- coconut cream from 1 young coconut (simply scoop the meat out and blend with a splash of coconut water. Start with only a little of coconut water- you can always add more to thin. Add a pinch of vanilla powder or a splash of vanilla extract. The mixture should be thick like whipped cream.)
- 2 passionfruit
How to Prepare Coconut and Passion Fruit Chia Pudding [Vegan]
- Combine the chia seeds, almond milk, and sweetener.
- Stir very well and place in a sealed container in the fridge overnight. If you get the chance, stir it occasionally before you go to bed.
- In the morning, layer the thickened chia pudding with coconut cream and the passionfruit. Enjoy this tasty tropical breakfast!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.