One of my favorite things about eating raw foods is that often dessert and breakfast can be the same meal! Who doesn't want a chocolatey raw cacao and banana smoothie, or banana soft serve with fruit and coconut cream for breakfast. In this instance, I made a sweet and fruity tropical coconut & passionfruit chia pudding for breakfast; but I could easily enjoy it as a healthy, sweet dessert too. If you aren't familiar with chia seeds, they are superfood seeds packed with goodness. They contain tons of soluble and insoluble fiber - great for digestion and they have more omega 3's than salmon. They contain many minerals such as iron, potassium, and calcium and are very high in antioxidants. They're also gluten-free. I use chia seeds almost every day: - I like to add a tablespoon to my daily smoothies for a boost of energy and nutrients. - I also sprinkle it onto my oatmeal. - I make "agua fresca" with it. To do this, you simply add chia seeds to a pitcher of water and fill it with fresh fruits and a bit of sweetness. I like to use lime juice and honey and give the mix a very quick blend in the vita-mix. Adding a few drops of liquid chlorophyll is a great idea to boost health too, and we called this "swamp water" at my last job. (Note: keep the vitamix on the lowest setting possible or the chia seeds will be crushed.) - I use chia seeds to replace eggs with them. If you take 1 tbsp of chia seeds, and stir them into 3 - 4 tbsp of water and let the mixture sit for 5 - 10 minutes, you will notice it thickens a ton and becomes a gel. This can act as a binding agent instead of eggs in almost all recipes. - I make chia pudding for breakfast or dessert. Chia pudding can be so versatile and you can really mix in whatever flavor you like. I always add a bit of sweetness, whether it be through xylitol, stevia, maple syrup, or honey. For this particular recipe, I used tropical fruits like coconut and passionfruit, along with vanilla powder for a healthy, filling breakfast.
Coconut and Passion Fruit Chia Pudding [Vegan]
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener of choice (ie. maple syrup, xylitol, stevia, sugar)
- coconut cream from 1 young coconut (simply scoop the meat out and blend with a splash of coconut water. Start with only a little of coconut water- you can always add more to thin. Add a pinch of vanilla powder or a splash of vanilla extract. The mixture should be thick like whipped cream.)
- 2 passionfruit
- Combine the chia seeds, almond milk, and sweetener.
- Stir very well and place in a sealed container in the fridge overnight. If you get the chance, stir it occasionally before you go to bed.
- In the morning, layer the thickened chia pudding with coconut cream and the passionfruit. Enjoy this tasty tropical breakfast!