Traditionally served in small slices with Greek coffee, this Constantinople cake is the perfect way to celebrate an occasion or end a lovely meal. However, whenever you choose to enjoy it – you will not be disappointed!
Traditional Constantinople Cake [Vegan]
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons rosewater
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (1 medium orange)
- 10 pods cardamom pods: use crushed seeds or scant 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sesame (or vegetable) oil
- 1, 12-ounce jar of your favorite jam and/or 1 cup powdered sugar
- Warm almond milk, zests, rosewater, cinnamon stick, and crushed cardamom seeds together over low/medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to very low, cook for 5 minutes. Shut off heat and allow to cool for at least 25 minutes.
- At about 10 minutes into cooling, you should see a thin skin start to form as the liquid thickens.
- Stir to reincorporate if you like but do not remove! This should cook down to a bit over 1 cup which is what you will need for this recipe. Feel free to sweeten and drink any extra
- When almond milk reduction is cooled, strain out spices/zest and stir in orange juice.
- Let sit approximately 10 minutes and, right before adding to the recipe, stir in vanilla extract.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt in large bowl.
- Add almond milk reduction and mix to combine completely. The batter will be very thick! Mix in oil until completely combined.
- Scoop batter into 9-inch round baking pan, bottom lined with parchment paper, and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Turn cake out onto a cooling rack and allow to rest for at least 2 hours before decorating (or eating – cake needs time for flavors to finish coming together!).
- Before topping with jam, use a serrated knife to level off the top of the cake or you’ll have jam sliding everywhere!
- Top with unsweetened coconut flakes and garnish with fresh mint leaves. Or simply dust liberally with powdered sugar for an elegant, minimalist approach.