To prepare this soft focaccia is simple; you just need the patience to wait for the leavening and the courage to turn on the oven. It is made from a mix of whole wheat flour and potatoes, yet it has the moist, fluffy consistency of the typical focaccia made with semolina flour. Halved cherry tomatoes are baked on top to add juicy bites of flavor throughout.
Tomato and Potato Focaccia [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups and 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 4/5 cup water
- 5.3 ounces natural leavening dough (mother's yeast)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons olive oil plus more for finishing
- 1/2 teaspoon malt powder
- 1 cup cold potatoes, mashed
- Tomatoes, as needed
- Oregano, as needed
- Sift flour with malt. Add the mashed potato. Add mixture to the natural leaving dough. Start to knead the dough adding water as needed a little at a time. Lastly add the oil and salt. The dough must be very soft. The amount of water should be adjusted according to the absorption capacity of the flour.
- Place in a greased bowl, fold with a spatula and let rise until doubled, around 4 1/2 hours.
- Without deflating the dough, roll it out with your fingers gently on a baking sheet greased and lined with parchment paper. Let rise a second time, around 5 hours.
- Spread a bit of extra virgin olive oil on the surface. Then add halved tomatoes, oregano, and salt and bake at 430°F for 30 to 35 minutes
- Reduce heat to 390°F and bake for 20 minutes.