Love nachos, but want a change from seasoned meat? Try these tofu nachos for a meat free snack that’s just as messy and fun to eat as the other kind. Crumbled tofu is such a great filling for these because when you bake it, the texture changes into something resembling cooked ground meat. The smaller bits get darker with a little crunch while the larger ones remain tender but not mushy. It makes for a flavorful bite. A little time in the oven, some Mexican inspired seasoning and your favorite fixings are all you need for a plate of tofu nachos that will have you licking your fingers!
Tofu Nachos [Vegan]
For the Tofu Crumbles:
- 1 pack extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon neutral tasting oil (ex: sunflower oil)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 - 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (use store bought or make your own)
For the Nachos:
- tortilla chips
- chopped onions, tomatoes, lettuce, jalapeños etc
- shredded vegan cheese or store bought cheese dip
- vegan sour cream
- hot sauce
- any other topping you like on your nachos
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray (the parchment paper makes for an easy clean up)
- Mix the oil, soy sauce and taco seasoning in a bowl.
- Use your hands to crumble the tofu into the bowl and stir to coat with the seasoning blend
- Spread evenly onto the baking sheet, breaking up any super large chunks.
- Bake for 30 - 45 minutes, stirring every once in a while. The total time depends on your oven, how much moisture is in the tofu and how much is on the baking sheet. When the tofu starts to brown, check more frequently.
- When cooked to your liking, remove from the oven. At this point the crumbles can be stored in the fridge until needed.
- To make the nachos, place the desired amount of crumbles into a medium skillet. At this point you can add more seasoning, hot sauce, salsa, etc to make them more like taco meat. Heat through and allow the excess moisture to cook off.
- Arrange tortilla chips on a platter and top with the tofu, chopped veggies, vegan sour cream and vegan cheese.