We have always been obsessed with lettuce wraps, so of course this recipe deserves a spot in this cookbook. These lettuce wraps pair crispy butter lettuce with flavorful tofu filling and they are served with a soy-vinegar dipping sauce. Serve them with Soy-Miso Edamame and Gochujang Brussels Sprouts. Reprinted with permission from The Six Vegan Sisters Everyday Cookbook by Six Vegan Sisters, Page Street Publishing Co. 2021. Photo credit: Hayden Stinebaugh
Tofu Lettuce Wraps [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tofu Lettuce Wraps [Vegan]
For the Tofu Filling:
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) hoisin sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 ml) pure (untoasted) sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium-sized white onion, chopped (about 1 cup [160 g])
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced, or 1 tablespoon (9 g) jarred minced garlic
- 1 (14- to 16-oz [396- to 453-g]) block firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 1 (8-oz [226-g]) can water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and chopped small
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) low-sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (7 ml) sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 ml) chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon (5 g) minced green onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6g) sesame seeds
- 1 head butter lettuce, separated into whole pieces
- Chopped green onion
- Sesame seeds
How to Prepare Tofu Lettuce Wraps [Vegan]
Make the Tofu Filling:
- In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce and ginger and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Crumble the pressed tofu into the pan and stir well. Cook, stirring often, for another 3 minutes.
- Stir the prepared hoisin mixture into the tofu mixture, coating the tofu evenly. Stir in the chopped water chestnuts. Cook, stirring often, for another 5 minutes.
Make the Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dipping sauce ingredients.
- Assemble the wraps. Serve by placing your desired amount of the tofu filling down the center of each piece of butter lettuce and topping with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.