In this Indian-style dish, tomatoes and red peppers come together to make a beautifully bright and bold sauce. It is then given a spike of spice with cayenne and mellowed out with a bit of coconut cream. The cubed tofu is simmered in this sauce for about 10 minutes and voila, you have a dish that is elegant, flavorful, and healthy.
Tofu in Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce [Vegan]
- 3 red bell peppers, cut into large pieces
- 1 small cayenne peppeer
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt, to taste
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Place the peppers, cayenne peppers, tomatoes, and garlic in a large casserole dish. Drizzle with all but 2 tablespoons of the oil. Turn on the oven to 375°F and roast for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime heat the remaining oil for about 1 minute and add in the cumin seeds and wait until they sizzle, add in the onion and sauté for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the ginger and mix well.
- Cool slightly, place the onions in the blender with the roasted vegetables and the coconut milk and blend into a smooth purée.
- Place back in a pot and add in the salt, tofu, and 1 tablespoon of the fenugreek.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with the remaining dried fenugreek and cilantro.