I call these “Coddies” because that is what we called them growing up. They don't really have a fishy taste, so I don't know where the name came from! The bit of Old Bay adds a nice little kick to it. Plus, it's super spring-y since it pairs so nicely with a side of steamed asparagus and some squeezed lemon. It's easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Tofu ‘Coddies’ [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 pack Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 medium potatoes (This yielded 1 c. mashed potatoes)
- 2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1.5 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/3 c. flax meal
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Take tofu and drain water. Pat dry. Crumble tofu into a medium sized bowl.
- Add in potatoes, Old Bay, Nutritional Yeast and lemon juice. Using your hands smash everything together until it makes a paste. You will still have some big pieces of tofu and thats ok.
- Using hands, form into patties and roll in the flax meal.
- Place patties onto baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes or until crispy.
- Sere immediately.
One thing to note is the type of tofu. It makes a HUGE difference. Trust me on this. You will need Extra Firm Tofu.