Tacos are life and Indian food rules. Put the two together and you’ve got spicy, creamy, magical Tikka Masala Tacos. Don’t be put off by the long ingredients list—it’s mostly dry spices and the meal comes together quickly. Use corn tortillas for a deliciously messy street taco experience. Swap the tortillas for heartier flatbread to make a sturdier wrap. Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, copyright Page Street Publishing 2019.
Tikka Masala Tacos [Vegan]
For the Masala Base:
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or just a pinch)
- 3 tablespoons cashews
- Tiny handful cilantro leaves (1 tablespoon packed)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 10 ounces tempeh
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut cream
For the Chutney Slaw:
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Pinch of salt
- 1 (9-ounce) bag shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- Corn tortillas, round vegan naan or pita bread
- Make the masala base. Combine the shallots, garlic, masala, agave, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, ginger, cloves, salt, cayenne, cashews, cilantro and lime juice in a food processor. Process for 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, put the spices away. Stop once to scrape down sides. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time to blend as needed.
- Put the coconut oil in large deep pan over medium-high. Dice the tempeh into 1/2-inch cubes. Add the masala and tempeh to the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until fragrant, stirring a few times.
- Drain the canned tomatoes and discard the liquid. Use your hands to break the tomatoes apart as you add them to the pan. Turn the heat to medium and mash them further with a wooden spoon. Add the coconut cream. Taste and add additional cayenne if you like a lot of heat. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until thick, stirring often.
- Make the slaw. Mix the mayo, chutney, lime juice and salt together in a large bowl. Add the coleslaw mix and stir well to combine. Chop the cilantro.
- Warm the tortillas or naan in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds before serving. Build the tacos with a scoop of tempeh masala, slaw and cilantro.