Crispy on the outside, succulent and smoky-flavored on the inside, this vegan beet burger recipe will be one of your new go-to's for veggie burger night. The beets give it a beautiful color (and health benefits). It tastes great between a bun, but you can also serve alongside a salad or some veggies! This vegan beet burger recipe is not complete without the delicious avocado-tahini sauce and baked sweet potato fries. It’s everything you could want in a burger––and more!
Red Quinoa and Beet Burger [Vegan]
- 1 cup beets, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup red quinoa (white is just as fine)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flax, soaked in 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons wholemeal bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch long slices, then 1/4-inch wide inch strips
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 4 wholemeal buns
- 1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped·
- Preheat the oven to 357°F.
- Place the beet cubes on a lined baking tin, rub with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place the roasted beets in a food processor and pulse two or three times - you need some texture for the burgers, so make sure you don't mash them completely.
- Transfer the beets to a large bowl, add all the other ingredients and stir to combine. If the texture is too mushy add more bread crumbs until you obtain the desired consistency.
- With slightly wet hands, shape the burgers and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes on one side, then flip over and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Place the sweet potato strips on a lined baking sheet, rub with olive oil, then sprinkle with cornmeal and toss to combine.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. They will be ready in the same time with the burgers.
- While the burgers are baking, prepare the dressing.Place all the ingredients in the food processor and process to obtain a creamy sauce.
- Assemble the burgers immediately after removing from the oven.
- Cut the bun in halves, spread bun bases with dressing, add the beet burger and sweet potato fries, top generously with avocado dressing, parsley and put on the bun top. Serve immediately.