Forget about those processed frozen veggie burgers you'll find on any supermarket shelf and make these all-veggie "Big Mac" burgers instead! That's right – nothing that hasn't grown straight out of the ground was used to make these incredibly flavorful and hearty burger patties. To make them even better, the burgers are topped with a crunchy and tangy radicchio slaw and creamy avocado.
Mushroom and Zucchini Burger With Radicchio Slaw [Vegan]
For the Burgers:
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, grated (2 large)
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, grated (1 1/2 medium-sized zucchini)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin or minced
- 3 cups White Button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sweet pea shoots (evenly distributed between burgers)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon creamy vegan dressing
- 1/2 avocado, sliced (per burger)
- Sesame seed burger buns (gluten-free if needed)
For the Radicchio Slaw:
- 3-4 cups radicchio, shredded
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked (you can boil water and soak them for 15 minutes if you do not have cashews previously soaked)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the Burger Patties:
- In a large skillet on medium heat, heat up coconut oil.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about five minutes.
- Throw in grated carrots and zucchini and cook for seven minutes. You can season with salt and pepper.
- After about seven minutes add in mushrooms and cook everything for another 5-7 minutes, until mushrooms are evenly browned, stirring occasionally. Once fully cooked remove from heat to cool briefly while you prepare the dry ingredients.
- Using a blender or processor, grind up rolled oats and sunflowers seeds until fine like flour.
- In a large bowl sift together all dry ingredients: oat flour, ground sunflower seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Using tongs, transfer cooked veggies into the dry mixture leaving out the excess water.
- Toss veggies in flour until well combined, and add the 1/4 cup liquid aminos. Mix well.
- Place veggie mix into the freezer for five minutes so it's not so sticky when you're forming them into patties. After five minutes, take a handful of the veggie mixture, roll into a ball, then flatten with the palm of your hands. You can make bigger patties which will make four, or you can make smaller patties which result in six.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place prepared patties on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes flipping them over at the 20-minute mark.
- While they're in the oven baking you can prepare the radicchio slaw.
To Make the Radicchio Slaw:
- Place all ingredients except for the radicchio into a high-speed blender and run until smooth and creamy. Taste as you go to adjust seasoning as needed or desired. (Be sure to drain and rinse your soaking cashews beforehand.)
- Add mixture in with radicchio and toss until evenly distributed.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of dressing onto the bottom bun, followed by a veggie burger, greens, avocado slices, and radicchio slaw. Finish it off with the top part of the bun and go have yourself a grand old veggie burger time. Enjoy!
If you do not want to cook the patties right away you can store them in an airtight container in the freezer. They last in the freezer for up to a month so be sure to date them. When ready to cook, let thaw in the fridge for a couple of hours or even overnight.