I’ve been dying to mix up my tempeh routine. These tahini-glazed bites were the product of a quest to make a more neutral flavored version, perhaps one that could be made “plain” but tossed with different sauces (kind of like chicken wings…?). When left plain, these have a slightly garlicky taste; the coating, however, will take on whatever flavor you toss it in. Barbecue sauce? Sweet and sour sauce? Soy sauce? Whatever you need to integrate into another dish, these are a true chameleon toss-in.
Tahini Glazed Tempeh [Vegan]
- 2 blocks tempeh, cubed
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine marinade in a large bowl, adding water last to reach desired consistency. It should be thick and fluid, but not too batter-like.
- Add tempeh to the bowl and toss with marinade. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- While you wait, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spread tempeh in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the outside edges are crisped.
- Remove tempeh from the oven.
- Serve warm.
Consider tossing these on salads or mixing with your grain/cooked veggies of choice for the best desk lunch ever.