Growing up, my mother would do her best to make dishes that were wholesome for our family. One of the ways that she would make us eat your greens was by putting spinach in plenty of our foods. Like most children, my brothers and I weren’t fans of spinach, let alone a stew made of spinach. However, as we grew, we appreciated this iron-dense meal more and more, and now I make it when I am feeling under the weather to give me a little boost. Credit: Reprinted with permission from Dine in Palestine by Heifa Odeh. Page Street Publishing Co. 2022. Photo credit: Doaa Elkady.
Tabeekh Sabanekh [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tabeekh Sabanekh [Vegan]
For the Spinach Stew:
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 28 oz (794 g) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
- 2 cups (328 g) canned chickpeas,drained
- 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (279 g) Vermicelli Rice
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
How to Prepare Tabeekh Sabanekh [Vegan]
- To a pot, add in the olive oil, along with the onion and garlic. Allow this to cook on medium heat until the onion and garlic are fragrant and lightly caramelized.
- To this, add the bouillon cubes by crushing them over the top of the onion and garlic to cook together.
- Then, add the spinach along with the chickpeas and water to the pot. Season with salt and pepper and allow this stew to cook together on low to medium heat, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve with Vermicelli Rice and wedges of lemon for a complete meal.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.